Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Human Nature.


A great writer, who also happens to be one of my role models, once told me that for a writer not to write is like asking a fish not to swim or a bird not to fly. At first I disregarded that as a silly statement, but then I got to thinking and I’m pretty sure he may be onto something. Because I have noticed that when I do not write and I keep my million, random, fanatical thoughts inside my head is when my life begins to spin a bit out of control. Good news though; normally right when im about to go insane, I write viciously (not just blogs) until my hearts content and things seem to get back on track. Although this is not one of those times when I am having a monumental break through with myself, I have decided I should probably write more as precautious self-prescribed therapy. We’ll see how long it that lasts before im beginning another blog with “sorry it’s been so long...”

There are few issues with human tendencies that have been eating at me for a while. So Im going to try to break them down as best I can, seeing how I have boiled over them for quite some time so I have developed quite an opinion about all 3 matters. Before I go on a rampage about them all I will leave yet another disclaimer: I am fully aware that I am not perfect, and no where in this am I trying to convey that message. I am simply expressing personal thoughts about my own and others character flaws. But we’re only human, so it’s already expected we have a multitude of them.
For starters, I have begun to notice more frequently how people expect so much from others but rarely practice it themselves. Need example? Don’t worry, I have plenty.
You know how people always say “Forgive and forget”? I think the saying, better translated should be-“Forgive me or I’ll forget you, Wrong me and forgetting is free.” Okay, so that one is not as catchy. But it’s more realistic. And it’s the truth. I’ve noticed that people are so expectant for others to forgive them but so hesitant when it comes to forgiving someone who’s wronged them. How messed up is that! It is one of the ultimate examples of our underlying sinful nature. Shame. It’s like a human code or something, im not joking there. I seriously think there is some code we have adapted to that says “Alright, if you screw someone over, they should obviously forgive you, you’re only human right?! BUT if they wrong you, ohhhhh boy, you better drop them and run the other way-every man for himself right?” Thank you, Satan for your LIES! This is what really gets me-this shouldn’t be an issue in the church. But it is. A big one at that. I know that the church is full of sinners alike, but that should not give us any excuse for holding a grudge. Galatians 2:20 says “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Amen. I basically could just stop with that verse. But I’m not going to. Even though that verse pretty much sums it up for us! As Christ followers, the Church should act as Christ does! We should be the leading examples in how to forgive! But why is it that so many people turn away from churches from simple issues like someone not forgiving another and it causing tension? Geez. America needs to get on it. No, better yet- the church needs to get on it so that America can see what to do THEN they can hop on board. I understand that the issue at hand is not a light one. It is one thing to say “I forgive you” and actually do it. It is another thing entirely to actually forgive them where you can treat them with the full love of a brother/sister in Christ. So it’s like a two step package. So why is it that we still expect, even sometimes as Christians, for everybody to do 1 & 2 when we do something that offends them; but if it’s the other way around we automatically put up a wall and rid ourselves of that relationship?


It sounds as though I have had an epiphany and I am about to reveal the secret to human nature. Sorry to disappoint, but I don’t have the secret. Except for the Christ element. That’s pretty much a key factor. Then the whole Christ’s-followers-actually-following-what-Christ-said-to-do thing. On another note, have you ever noticed how quick some people are to judge but hate being judged? Why is that? It’s like the one thing their good at they don’t want anyone else doing it to them, which doesn’t make a lick of sense. Then there are some people who walk around with the over zealous attitude of “I don’t care what people think about me at all!” but those people turn out to be the ones who actually care the most. Why is it that when someone new walks into the picture everyone makes automatic assumptions of what that person is like/does/wants out of life-BUT if we were to hear of them doing the same thing towards us we would be completely offended. I just don’t understand how some people think that way and don’t see the problem with it.

There’s also another issue I’ve been thinking about a lot lately; why adults see teenagers as useless, lazy, not committal, selfish, irresponsible kids. I think with this topic we can really only blame ourselves… but why don’t we do something to change that? I know I shouldn’t get tired of hearing adults tell groups ive been with that we're not like other teenagers, that we don't fit the normal teenage mold. That is good news in itself. But after service projects when adults go on and on about how “it’s just so special to see people-especially teenagers- sacrificing their time to serve others.” That kills me. Why can that not be expected of us? I wonder how long and how many people it would require to break out of that stereotype of the “typical lazy selfish American teenager” I realize I don’t have very long left to claim that title, but I want to take full advantage of the time I do have left to change that. I hate being typical, and I hate fitting into the same mold as everyone else. But if everyone began to fit into the new mold (the one where we are willing to serve, and sacrifice our time and all the other things that go along with it) I wouldn’t mind being like alot of other people; if we all shared that trait. In fact- I would be thrilled to share that same mold with as many people who decided to claim it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well said - i always enjoy reading what you write